Makes about 4 cups
4 rashers bacon
1 kg brown onions, peeled, halved and cut into slices
1 teaspoon salt
500 ml apple cider
50 ml red wine or cider vinegar
40 g brown sugar
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1. Heat a large heavy sauce pan over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon until it is just crisp, then remove the slices and set aside, leaving all of the rendered fat in the pan.
2. Add the onions and salt to the pan, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the onions soften (about 15 minutes).
3. Chop the bacon into small dice. Add bacon and the remaining ingredients to the pan. Cook uncovered until the liquid is reduced to almost nothing, stirring occasionally (about an hour).
4. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until the onions are a rich medium brown color, stirring frequently (about 10 minutes). If it starts looking too dry, add water 1/4 cup at a time.
5. Remove from the heat, set aside, and let cool.