I have moved

Dear Reader
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I have moved on and my new blog is now called:

Please come and visit me there.
See you soon,

kristin

3.11.11

The most common cooking mistakes

I stumbled upon a website called Cooking Light which also is a US based magazine.  This magazine compiled a list of the most common cooking mistakes and along gives a great insight into working with low-fat ingredients. Have a look here.



3. You make unwise substitutions in baking.

Result: You wreck the underlying chemistry of the dish.

Substitutions are a particular temptation, and challenge, with healthy cooking. AtCooking Light it's our job to substitute lower-fat ingredients―to change the cooking chemistry a bit while capturing the soul of a dish. When it comes to baking, this is as much science as art.

"I'll get calls from readers about cakes turning out too dense or too gummy," says Test Kitchen Director Vanessa Pruett. "After a little interrogation, I’ll get to the truth―that the reader used ALL applesauce instead of a mix of applesauce and oil or butter or went with sugar substitute in place of sugar." Best practice: Follow the recipe, period.




NEXT4. You boil when you should simmer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried looking for a contact email but couldn't find one so leaving a comment ... it would be really nice if you could adjust the links on your blog so as they open into a new window when you click on them so that the user doesn't have to leave your blog .... thanks Marie
http://padreralph.wordpress.com