I have moved

Dear Reader
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. I have moved on and my new blog is now called:

Please come and visit me there.
See you soon,

kristin

28.2.13

Vegan Banana Cake

I am not sure why I thought of making a vegan banana cake as so far I have been making a very traditional one and it always turned out nicely. But then there is so much talk about the so-
called superfoods which I liked to try in a cake. There are some superfoods I would  not touch, no matter how healthy they might be but chia seeds have become one of our favourite seeds in our family. They are so versatile and don't really taste like much but sprinkled on a smoothie it adds a nice crunch to it. Don't let them sit too long though or they become soggy and starting to gel. Funny seed that is.

The chia and almond spread is from the health food section at Coles which seems to be widely available. I bought the spread because it somehow attracted me without knowing what I am going to do with it in the first place.
It actually works well instead of peanut butter but also adds nice flavour to the cake.


-->

Vegan banana bread

30g linseed (finely ground, I used a coffee grinder)
150ml canola oil
200g plain flour
50g wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 a good pinch of mixed spice
200 g brown sugar
2 ripe bananas
2 tablespoons chia and almond spread

Preheat oven to 180C. Stir together linseed and oil and let sit. Combine both flours, baking powder, spices and sugar in a large bowl. In another bowl mash bananas and mix with chia and almond spread and linseed-oil mixture. Combine dry and wet ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. Fill into a Gugelhupf or loaf tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar.



No comments: